In the past 15 years, player transfer fees have increased significantly and here are the Top 10 most expensive football transfers ever.
10. Gareth Bale joined Real Madrid in 2013 for 100.8 million euros
Before Gareth Bale was sidelined for the rest of his career by a terrible injury sustained while playing for Real Madrid, the Welsh forward had already made a name for himself in the Premier League with a number of memorable goals and contributions to historic moments for his club. Bale continues to be among the Premier League’s most costly transfers even now.
9. Paul Pogba joined Manchester United in 2016 for 105 million euros
Man Utd. let Paul Pogba leave on a free transfer in 2012. The French midfielder improved dramatically while playing for Juventus, and he is now considered one of the league’s top players.
Pogba joined Manchester United four years later for a world-record transfer fee. during that era’s view of the world.
8. Ousmane Dembele arrived at Barcelona in 2017 for 105 million euros
Many high-profile players have lately transferred to Barcelona. Dembele was signed from Dortmund for almost 100 million euros in 2017. Even now, he is still among the most costly transfers in the history of German football.
7. Romelu Lukaku to Chelsea in 2021 for 115 million euros
Chelsea, frustrated by its lack of a legendary striker, spent 115 million euros to acquire Lukaku from Inter Milan, only to be let down by the Belgian’s play.
6. Jack Grealish to Manchester City in 2021 for 117 million euros
To which player in the Premier League does the title of most costly belong? It’s Jack Grealish, of course. Manchester City forked over a hefty €117 million to Aston Villa for Grealish to join their already stellar roster.
5. Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona in 2019 for 120 million euros
Fans of Antoine Griezmann are still reeling over the news of his transfer. First, he rejected Barcelona in 2018, saying he would never join the Catalan club, only to sign for them the following year.
4. Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona in 2018 for 120 million euros
To win more hardware, Philippe Coutinho left Liverpool for Barcelona in the new year of 2018. Until now, he has been one of the most expensive transfers in Premier League history.
3. Joao Felix to Atletico Madrid in 2019 for 126 million euros
One of the most promising young players is Joao Felix. Despite interest from the best clubs in Europe, he ultimately decided to sign with Atletico Madrid in 2019.
2. Kylian Mbappe to PSG in 2017 for 145.6 million euros
PSG made serious efforts to get Mbappe from Monaco in 2017. Since joining, he has won the Ligue 1 Cup with the club on various occasions.
1. Neymar to PSG in 2017 for 222 million euros
The transfer of Neymar from Barcelona to PSG in 2017 was unprecedented. His record-breaking €222 million transaction is still the priciest ever. After five years, no other transfer comes close.